Residency Status

What determines in-state and out-of state residency?

The Montana University System classifies all students as either in-state or out-of-state. This classification affects admissions decisions and fee determinations. The basic rules for making the classification are found in the Board of Regents' Policy. It is each student's responsibility to secure and review a copy of the policy. Failure to be aware of the rules will not be a cause for granting any exceptions to them. A copy of the policy is available from the Admissions Office or the Registrar's Office. It is important to bear in mind that each residency determination is based on the unique set of facts found in each individual's case. Students participating in the Western Undergraduate Exchange or the National Student Exchange programs are not eligible to gain residency. If you have questions concerning your particular case, be sure to contact the unit to which you are applying for admission or at which you are already enrolled. Generally, the Admissions Office or the Registrar's Office will be able to assist you.

With certain exceptions, in order to be eligible for in-state status, a person must meet a 12-month durational residency test. You will have to demonstrate a bona fide intent to become a Montana resident. The 12-month period does not start until some act indicative of an intent to establish residency is taken. Mere presence in Montana or enrollment at a unit will not serve to start this period. Sufficient acts to start the period are registration to vote, obtaining a Montana driver's license, registration of a motor vehicle in Montana, purchase of home in Montana, or filing of a resident Montana tax return. An Affidavit of Intent to Establish Residency may be filed with the Registrar's Office.  The 12-months must be completed by the 15th instructional day to qualify for that term.

  • If you believe you were classified wrong at the admission level (if you have not attended classes here) you will want to contact Admissions. The University of Montana classifies all students as either in-state or out-of-state based on the Montana Board of Regents Residency Policy. Please review the residency information and if there are specific questions, please call Enrollment Services-Admissions (800) 462-8636. If you are interested in gaining residency after attending or while attending, contact the Registrar’s Office (406) 243-2939 and/or follow this link
Was this helpful?
0 reviews


Article ID: 63280
Mon 10/1/18 2:32 PM