Move technology equipment to a new location

If you or your employee is moving to a new office, or if hardware is being reassigned to a different or new employee, use this form to request assistance from your IT unit. Hardware can include computers (desktops & laptops), tablets (iPads & Surfaces), printers, and peripherals (monitors, mice, keyboards, speakers, etc.). IT will not and cannot move office furniture.

This DOES NOT include telephone equipment or network connection moves.

How to Request

Please click  the “Request Service” button at the top right hand side of the screen.


UM employees. 


Monday through Friday between 8am - 5pm. 


Your IT Support Staff (See the Who Supports Me? page here.)

Related Services

Hardware replacement or new purchase

Hardware and device surplus or decommission

Device inventory audit

Edit shortcut Network and telephone work order authorization

Telephone service add, move, change

Network data port add, move, delete

Request Service


Service ID: 25312
Fri 1/5/18 11:17 AM
Thu 3/11/21 9:22 AM