• Hardware or software issues
• Printer or printing problems
• Broken equipment or repair

Services (4)

General Help/ Questions

If you need help with an issue (malfunctioning hardware, software errors, password resets, classroom technology, etc.). If you cannot find answers in the Knowledgebase or through a service request please submit a ticket.

Personal device appointment

Student Affairs offers house-call appointments for in person support with personal devices.

Technology consultation

To request a consultation from IT regarding technology (computers, classroom technology, signage, etc.)

Solutions Center Feedback / Questions

To report issues with UM Solutions Center or ask questions you cannot find in the knowledgebase